VDNH is a unique historical and architectural complex located in the capital of Russia - Moscow. It has no analogues in the world. The complex includes more than 500 permanent structures. 4 9 of them are the objects of cultural heritage.
However one should not think of the Exhibition as of the frozen monument of the bygone era. From the very first year of its existence it became a laboratory where the best Soviet architects, sculptors and artists experimented with the new Soviet style. From a historical point of view the Exhibition has always been an ideological loudspeaker of the country government.
The background of the exhibition goes back to 1927 to the XV Congress of the Soviet Union executive body, i.e. All-union communist party (Bolshevik party) that is VKP(B) in Russian, back to the time when the decision regarding collectivization of the agricultural sector was taken. From that time until the mid-1930-s the country was undergoing serious changes. The idea of “shock agricultural labor” came into being.
In February 1933 during the First All-Union Congress of Collective Farmers special groups of “shock workers” appeared. Two years after during the Second All-Union Congress of Collective Farmers the government took a decision to build All-union agricultural exhibition. The idea of the exhibition was mainly symbolic. It was important to demonstrate the success of collective farms by collecting and showing the best results of collective farmers’ work on a specific area. This area was decided to be the part of Ostankino Park. The idea of such exhibition had a lot in common with “building of socialism in one specific country”.
Works at the All-union Agricultural Exhibition began in the second half of 1939. A lot of difficulties of political, technical and economical character were overcome. During the last 7 years of construction there were twice more work done than during the period of 1936-1937.
Two thousand artists, sculptors and architects worked at the first opening of the exhibition! El Lisitskiy, Alexander Deineka, Sergey Konyonkov, Gregory Motovilov, Vyacheslav Oltarzhevskiy, Sergey Chernishev took part in creation of the ideal world, including town planning at VDNH.
Forgotten and unremarkable waste land in the North-East suburbs of Moscow turned into ideal model of the future of the USSSR. Here on 136 hectares of land were located 250 buildings including 32 industrial pavilions, 20 palaces of the Soviet Republics, territories and regions , as well as a park , a greenhouse of subtropical crops , squares , ponds , open experimental plots , exemplary farm buildings and even a sugar factory.
In the design of the buildings artists and sculptors used a variety of natural materials. Facades of the pavilions of the republics showed the strategic meeting of architectural traditions with the arts and crafts of each region of the country together with all-union motives of self-sacrificing collective labor.
The grand opening of the exhibition took place on 1 August 1939. The Head of the Soviet government , the Chair of the Council of People 's Commissars of the USSR Vyacheslav Molotov made a speech in front of the first guests of the All-union Agricultural Exhibition.
During the first 85 days of the Exhibition’s work it was visited by more than 3.5 million people!
Danish writer Andersen Neksne was very expressive in his comments after visiting the exhibition: “We are in front of the exhibition, 52 pavilions of which resemble a city from the “Thousand and One Nights”. Every nation of the USSR got its particular space. The result is a picture that , despite the fact that it only shows the nations of the Soviet Union , gives a deeper understanding of humanity than many of the World Expo that I have seen so far!”
The exhibition became a very popular place for recreation of the Muscovites and tourists. Although many visitors never went inside the pavilions or read propaganda texts the aim of the exhibition creation was mainly achieved. It created overall positive attitude towards the idea of " socialist agriculture" among the visitors.
All-union agricultural Exhibition continued to function relatively unchanged until the beginning of World War II.
On October 25 1948 , the Council of Ministers decided to revive the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition. Due to objective reasons the opening of the exhibition took place only in 1954. The territory was enlarged up to 207 hectares , several fountains appeared, i.e. "Friendship of Peoples ", " Stone Flower " and " Spike" (by the architect K.T. Topuridze), a five-kilometer highway with trolleybuses was built . Most pavilions were renovated . The main entrance became a monumental triumphal arch .
Before the exhibition was opened on 25 July 1954 the leaders of the party and government visited the Agricultural Exhibition and approved its new design . But the " Khrushchev thaw " brought its changes. A period of struggle against the " foofaraw " and " architectural excesses " began. There was a new trend for ch eaper construction and standardization.
But it was during the "Thaw" that on 28 May 1958 the Council of Ministers of the USSR adopted a resolution " On the unification of the All-Union industrial , agricultural and construction exhibitions ( on Frunze Embankment) into a single Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy of the USSR ”.
In 1963 the Council of Ministers adopted a decree “On the reconstruction of the work of VDNH USSR” The exhibition became all year-round ; the construction of a number of new and modern pavilions was planned and carried out.
Every year exhibitions at VDNH became increasingly interesting and impressive. Thousands of exhibits filled new pavilions . In 1971 by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR the VDNH was awarded the Order of the Red Banner. It was the only state award granted to the exhibition over seventy-five years of its existence .
In the seventies the methods of propaganda improved . Ideologues were looking for the new ways of psychological and emotional influence on people . On the sixtieth birthday of the Soviet government there was created a big full-screen spectacle entitled "We are the Soviet people ." It has been demonstrated in the Pavilion №1 “Central pavilion”.
It was at VDNH that so rare at that time foreign exhibitions took place. Despite they were mainly expositions of Soviet countries still they were of great interest to Soviet people.
Mid of 80-s was a time of change in the political and economical spheres of the country. Mikhail Gorbachev became the Secretary General of CPSU . He headed to the reform of the totalitarian system. A f eeling of change and a sense of euphoria seized the society. No one yet imagined what difficulties would await the citizens of the USSR , and then the citizen of new Russia in the coming years . Publicity began to affect many areas of Soviet society life , including the activity of the ministries, departments and their leaders. Of course VDNH of the USSR was not left unattended.
Economical situation in the country became worse and worse. But so far everything went its usual order. There were huge trucks produced, space ships “Soyuz” and “Salute” were launched. The Soviet Union launched the space orbital station “Mir”. VDNH continued to surprise visitors with the unique exhibits. Its alleys and fountains were still beautiful.
The beginning of the nineties of the XX century was a difficult period for Russia. The country survived the collapse of the Soviet Union, the formation of the Russian Federation and the Commonwealth of Independent States, political infighting and a systemic crisis.
In 1988 VDNH started working on the self-supporting basis and then completely lost state financing. The exhibition had to survive on its own trying to find new sources of financial support.
That's when the administration of the exhibition made the decision to lease the pavilions and other rentable places. The dictates of some tenants often reminded barbaric destruction, i.e. upon receipt of pavilions with live exhibits for rent they immediately got rid of the exhibits not to waste any "useful" area and turned the places into the points of consumer goods sale and even warehouses.
The expositions of “Central pavilion”, pavilion “Culture” (former “Uzbek Social Republic”) and other exhibitions were destructed this way. Even the restaurant “Golden Spike" that used to be able to serve 17 000 different dishes daily was harmed. It was turned into a warehouse .
Right after its renaming VDNH had to survive new era that was named “The era of all-Russian kebab-house”.
In 1992 the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy was transformed into a state joint stock company "VVC". By 1994 in the pavilions of VVC that is the abbreviation for the All-Russia Exhibition Centre, all expositions were closed except for the pavilion of livestock industries. But they also didn’t last long and by the first half of the 2000-s were eliminated. The only place that remained untouched at that time was the Amusement Park where people came to relax. The rest of the exhibition was turned into the flea market and kebab places.
Despite the barbaric use of pavilions and complete cease of exhibition activity VVC managed to keep the majority of its unique architectural complex.
In 1993 the state protection was granted to 49 pavilions and constructions, to cascade of artificial ponds with all the adjacent territory, to Michurinsky garden, Oak Grove (Sheremetyevo oak forest), Chestnut Grove and even to floral porters. In 1994 there was made an additional list of 35 separate buildings that were also recommended to state protection.
The first decade of the 2000s was to become slow period of exhibition activity recovery for VVC. In the early 2000s the management of the complex wanted to make some changes. The refuse of retail activity was out of question still it was necessary to make the exhibition look more attractive. It was decided to develop an exhibition area. National economy was recovering so there was something to tell and show.
Signs of “exhibition life” appeared in anniversary year 2009 when in addition to the three exhibition pavilions (№20, №57 and №69) multimedia pavilion №75 (“MosExpo”) was opened. It met all the requirements of exhibition complex of international level. The pavilion became the center for international and domestic exhibition and congress projects that demonstrated the newest technologies in the sphere of public healthcare, innovations energy and resource-saving. At the same time international cooperation with the countries of former Soviet Republics started to develop.
Meanwhile the Government of the Russian Federation being the main shareholders of JSC “SJSC VVC” and the Government of Moscow (having 30% share) got dozens of offers a year from private investors suggesting what should be done on the territory of the exhibition. Revival of the cultural complex was not a priority. There were ideas to build up to 500,000 square meters of residential property or giant shopping centers. As of November 2013 about 30% of the land and facilities of VVC were already privately owned. At that time there was a real danger of complete loss of the unique historical and cultural complex.
The new life of the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (as it has been called since 1958), was commenced in November 2013, when president of the Russian Federation V. V. Putin signed an order on Transfer to the Ownership of the city of Moscow of Federally Owned Shares of All-Russian Exhibition Centre State Joint Stock Company OJSC. 69.79% of the shares that were owned by the Government of the Russian Federation were transferred to the ownership of the Russian capital. The project for the restoration of the major exhibition centre of the country was personally headed by the Mayor of Moscow Sergey Sobyanin.
This important decision was made by the country's leaders when approximately 30% of the lands and facilities of AREC were privately owned and the process of spontaneous privatization at the Exhibition became more and more intense and uncontrolled. This resulted from the fact that during what was a difficult time for the country in the 1990s, VDNH was deprived of state financing. Under order No. 663 of 23 June 1992, signed by President of the Russian Federation B. N. Yeltsyn, the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy was transformed into GAO AREC OJSC. The industrial production concept of the exhibition was canceled, exhibition activity practically disappeared, and the territory of VDNH came to resemble a giant shopping center.
The main exhibition of the country regained its historical name: since 14 May 2014, the exhibition centre is officially called VDNH. Muscovites clearly made a choice in favor of the the widely known acronym: voting was held at the Active Citizen portal on assigning AREC its historical name, i.e. VDNH. 90% of the 300 000 votes supported the initiative aimed at the re-naming of the exhibition.
Control of the All-Russian Exhibition Center was transferred to the management of the joint stock company established by the Government of Moscow. Vladimir Pogrebenko served as the 1st Director General of the new VDNH. Since June 2015, VDNH has been headed by Ekaterina Pronicheva.
The Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy is currently reviving 3 historical functions: museum, exhibition and recreational. VDNH is also actively developing as an EXPO-site: as of the end of 2015, VDNH was recognized as the best site for assemblies and exhibitions of Russia and received international EFEA Awards in the event industry.
The works that were launched at VDNH in the spring of 2014 became the largest project on public space development in Moscow. For two years, a significant amount of work was completed on the territory of the Exhibition. In 2014, illegal buildings were removed, along with illegal shops and bill boards; trading in the historical pavilions of VDNH was prohibited; the asphalt surface (0.5 million sq. m) was restored; the road and path network was arranged; previously existing flower beds were restored and new ones (22.4 thousand sq. m) along with lawns (125 ha) were created. Small architectural forms (benches, trash bins, etc.) were restored and new ones were installed, primary repairs of historical fountains were performed.
Vehicular traffic along the territory of the Exhibition was restricted and a large pedestrian zone was arranged. Bicycles and roller skates were also taken into account - both rental points and parking lots for bicycles were set up at VDNH. In place of unreliable kabob shops, a modern food court was opened at VDNH, along with ice-cream and cold drink points as it was at VDNH during the Soviet times. During mass events, food festivals are organized at the Exhibition.
The works continued in 2015. Historical street lamps were restored, the design of which was developed in the 1930s–1950s, unique lamps of reflected light around the Friendship of Peoples fountain were refurbished, and architectural lighting was provided for the arch of the Main entrance. In 2015, two new playgrounds were built and the washrooms of VDNH were repaired: they were equipped with cabins for disabled citizens and changing tables, and heating was provided during wintertime.
The green decoration of VDNH also received a new life: approximately 1 million annual flowers, over 18,000 rose bushes, 20,000 shrubs and 120 trees were planted, including 98 at the Urban Farm, and over 8 ha of lawns were recultivated. Experts introduced a semi-automated watering system for the Central Area of VDNH — from the Stone Flower fountain to the Friendship of Peoples fountain (total piping length is 6.58 km).
In 2014-2015, emergency and high priority restoration works were implemented at over 50 buildings and structures, including architectural monuments: pavilions No. 1 Central; No. 2 Popular Education; No. 6 Chemistry; No. 8 Young Naturalists; No. 13 Health; No. 30 Microbiology; No. 31 Geology; No. 32/34 Space/Engineering; No. 44 Rabbit Breeding; No. 58 Agriculture; No. 59 Grain; No. 62 Environment Protection; No. 64 Optics; No. 66 Culture; No. 67 Karelia; No. 71 Atomic Power; Green Theater; Main Entrance; Southern Entrance, facades of the Central alley were repaired; metal false facades were removed, that were covering the gables of pavilions No. 14 Azerbaijan (Computing Technologies) and No. 15 «Radio Electronics and Communication» (Povolzhie) since the 1960–1970s.
The works included inspection of buildings, elimination of roof leakages, conservation and emergency response works at the facades, step repairs, replacement of broken windowpanes, door repairs, dismantling of late exhibition structures inside the pavilions, recovery of heat and power supply — this was done first.
In 2015, works directed towards profound reconstruction were launched, and the concept for pavilion development and their interior was completed. In 2015, reconstruction of the eastern and western facades of pavilion No. 18 Belarus was completed. Major reconstruction of pavilion No. 57 was completed with subsequent placement in it of the "Russia. My History" exposition; repairs took place at pavilion No. 16 Hydrometeorology; the structures No. 313 House of Culture; No. 422 Reception House; No. 550 Camel Breeding. Bids were prepared for works at pavilions No. 17 Forestry and Forest Industry; No. 25 Oil Industry; No. 32-34 Space; No. 58 Agriculture; arch of the Main entrance, left and right wings of the Main entrance.
Along with the rejuvenation of VDNH, national pavilions of the former USSR also gained new life. Pavilions Nos. 4, 6, 11, 14, 18, 68 were passed for long term rent to CIS countries for arrangement of permanent exhibitions of the achievements of these countries and hosting of national mass cultural events and fairs. Pavilion No. 4 — Republic of Kyrgyzstan was commissioned in 2009. Facades and interiors were repaired. Development of the concept regarding the contents of the republic's centre continues.
First priority emergency works were carried out on the facade, entry group and interior. A concept is currently being developed for the development and contents of the Abkhazia pavilion. A national restaurant is currently operating there. Exhibitions, presentations and concerts are held at the Abkhazia pavilion on weekends and holidays.
Its presentation was prepared and presented at VDNH. Kazakhstan representatives obtained state expert assessment for the restoration project with the conversion of the pavilion into a republic exhibition and trade centre.
In 2013, emergency response works were carried out inside the pavilion. In 2014, emergency response works on the facade took place: false panels that covered the historical image of the pavilion were removed from the entrance group.
In 2015, restoration of the external colonnade of the northern facade, maiolica of internal columns and Motherland sculpture, also known as Mother Belarus, was completed. An interactive exhibition dedicated to the industrial, investment and touristic potential of Belarus was placed inside the pavilion.
In March-August 2014, preparatory repairs of the main part of the facade and complex decor elements were fulfilled. Exhibitions of national artists and masters, as well as a national restaurant and Armenian food and souvenir shops were placed inside the pavilion.
Over the last two years, new milestones within the framework of VDNH restoration have emerged. These include the Chess Club pavilion, which was built in 2015. It is located behind administrative building No. 206 as an oval-shaped wooden structure with large windows. Chess tournaments take place at the pavilion, as well as various master classes and educational events.
The Urban Farm educational and entertainment centre opened in August 2015. It is located on the territory adjacent to pond No. 5 near historical pavilion No. 44 Rabbit Breeding. The total area of the centre is approximately 3 ha. As of today, it is fully developed and open for visitors.
The Centre for oceanology and sea biology Moskvarium was launched on 5 August 2015. The total area of the centre is 53,000 sq. m. It includes an aquarium with over 8000 (500 breeds) fish, a modern spectator hall with 2300 seats, 7 swimming pools for swimming with dolphins and a water fauna observation site.
The Buran interaсtive museum centre became an integral part of the Buran spacecraft model. It is located on the site near pavilion No. 20. The exposition dedicated to the history of the Russian space shuttle operates at the museum centre.
The Open Air Military Equipment exposition is located near pavilion No. 32-34 Space and near pavilion No. 75.
During restoration works at pavilion No. 1 Central in 2014, cultural values, which were previously considered to be lost, were found: haut relief by Evgeny Vuchetich Vivat the Cornet of Piece, the Soviet People! (1954), and a picture by Alexander Gerasimov (1953). Restoration of these masterpieces was commenced in 2015.
Haut relief by Evgeny Vuchetich Vivat the Cornet of Piece, the Soviet People! (1954) is a part of the Central (Main) pavilion's cultural heritage objects of federal importance, architect Yu. V. Shchuko, architect E. A. Stolyarov. The monument is made of gypsum, tinted in a copper colour. It contains a depiction of people of various nationalities, professions and ages against the backdrop of iconic buildings of the pre-war and post-war era — skyscrapers of the MSU main building, Shukhovskaya tower, Dneproges, etc. In the center, against the backdrop of a fluttering banner with a portrait of V. I. Lenin, is a depiction of a worker and a farm lady holding a child. Details of restoration: vdnh.ru
The oil painting on canvas of 6.75х11 m was created in 1953 by a group of authors under the direction of Alexander Gerasimov. G. Gorelov, N. Denisovsky, N. Dryuchik, R. Zenkova, and А. Papikyan also took part in the work on it. The painting depicts delegates of the 2nd all-Union meeting of collective farmers and shock workers on 11–17 February 1935. It was then that peasants and workers asked the Central Committee of the All-Union Communist Party of the Bolsheviks and Council of People's Commissars of the USSR to arrange in Moscow an All-Union Agricultural Exhibition in 1937. Details of restoration: vdnh.ru
In winter 2014-2015, the largest artificial skating rink in the world was launched at VDNH. Its infrastructure occupies approximately 57,300 sq. m, and the ice surface is over 20,500 sq. m. Almost 5 000 people can skate on it simultaneously. The project was implemented using only Russian materials and technologies. The skating rink at VDNH is known as the Main skating rink of the country. This was the name officially assigned to it in 2014 by the Book of Records of Russia. From 28 November 2014 to 15 March 2015, it was visited by over 1.5 million people and profits exceeded 433 million roubles.
In 2014, the VDNH Green Theater was reconstructed and opened for visitors. The building of the open air concert hall was constructed by the launch of the Exhibition in 1939 by Boris Efimovich. This was an original architectural solution with a French chateau style open stage with perfectly designed acoustics and harmonic integration in the surrounding landscape. For many years, the VDNH Green Theater became the favourite recreational place of the Exhibition's visitors. During the last century, famous collectives such as the Pyatnitsky choir and Leonid Utesov jazz ensemble performed on its stage, and the Russian musicians Iosif Kobzon and Alla Pugacheva started their carriers here. After reconstruction, the Green Theater was transformed into a modern convenient site for musical and theatrical performances, as well as movie screenings with a capacity of 3000 people. Since the stage is equipped with hi-tech steel structures, a screen, decorations or the most modern sound and light equipment can be mounted on it. During the two seasons of 2014 and 2015, Russian and global stars, such as the P. I. Chaikovsky Symphonic Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Fedoseev, violist and conductor Yury Bashmet, actor Konstantin Khabensky, musician and composer Jivan Gasparyan, singer and composer Sinead O'Connor, actor Evgeny Mironov, composer Maxim Dunaevsky, actors Mikhail Boyarsky and Dmitry Kharatyan, along with many others performed on the Green Theater stage. ATTENTION! The Green Theater is closed in 2017.
In August 2015, the Urban Farm educational and entertainment centre was launched. It is located on the territory adjacent to pond No. 5 near historical pavilion No. 44 Rabbit Breeding. The total area of the centre is approximately 3 ha. The main goal of the Urban Farm project is education. Zebu cows, ships, geese, hens, rabbits and other animals live at the farm, and there is a real garden and vegetable garden. Master classes, lectures, thematic presentations on plants and animals, as well as entertainment events of various formats are held here all year round.
Open at VDNH on 5 August 2015. Total area is 53,000 sq. m. Construction of the centre was commenced in 2013 and lasted for two years. It includes an aquarium with over 8000 (500 breeds) fish, shellfish and arthropods, a modern spectator hall for 2300 people, in which killer whales, white porpoises, dolphins, walruses and seals perform (with 3D projections and effects). Scientific and educational workshops and screening of documentaries on sea flora and fauna are held at the center, as well as excursions which include attending a site for water fauna observation. Moskvarium also features 7 swimming pools for swimming with dolphins.
On the Day of Russia, 12 July 2015, the unique artificial summer beach project "Port at VDNH" was launched at the Main exhibition of the country. A centre with four swimming pools, sun bed area, SPA tubs, four volleyball courts, table tennis area, workout site, stage, light dance floor, three bars and a restaurant was open on an area of over 1.5 ha. In addition to attending the beach at VDNH Port, one can dance Lindy hop, listen to live jazz, play table tennis or volleyball, draw in the open air or dance till the morning with high quality live music. ATTENTION! In 2017, Port at VDNH is closed.
In 2014, a model of the Buran BTS-001 orbital vehicle was transferred to VDNH. The unique transport operation, of which there are no analogs in the world, took place on the night from the 5-6th of July. The main space showpiece of Russia weighing 50 tons was transferred across a distance of 15 km from Gorky Park to VDNH in 6 hours. Within the shortest time limits, the Buran was repaired and an interactive museum centre was established, where visitors of the exposition can imagine themselves as research pilots — thanks to the Buran control simulator. Similar expositions with the use of shuttle models are already available at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in the US, the Speyer Technical Museum in Germany, and at the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
On 25 July - 1 August 2015, dedicated to the 76th anniversary of VDNH, Vdohnovenie Art Festival took place at the Main exhibition of the country, and it became a traditional event. This was the first art festival that united the open sites of the renovated VDNH and included almost all types and styles of modern and classical art. Vdohnovenie at VDNH started with two grand events — оpera La Traviata staged by the K. S. Stanislavsky and V. I. Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Academic Musical Theatre and a dance media performance in front of pavilion No. 66 Culture. During the course of the festival week, famous opera singers, as well as street theatre actors performed at VDNH, interactive sites operated, and music and dance performances and pyrotechnic shows also took place.
On 1 August 2014, the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy turned 75. The VDNH anniversary was celebrated with a bright 3-day programme, the theme of which was classical music and great Russian ballet. Festive events included the Stone Flower aqua dance show, open air theatrical performances, a DJ party, a concert with the participation of Russian music stars, and bright fireworks. During the three days of the festival, the Main exhibition of the country was visited by over 3 million people.
The Main exhibition of the country served as the site for a large scale celebration of the 70th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War. On 9 May 2015, a concert performed by the People's artist of Russia Dmitry Khvorostovsky with the War Time Songs programme took place on the stage near pavilion No. 1 Central. On 9 May, the P. I. Chaikovsky Symphonic Orchestra performed at the VDNH Green Theater with a special program dedicated to the anniversary of the Victory: soloists of the leading Russian and international opera theatres performed songs of the war years under the direction of the legendary Vladimir Fedoseev. The Victory Day celebration at the Main exhibition of the country was culminated by a colourful fireworks show.
Since 2014, on the first autumn weekend, on the Day of Moscow, VDNH transforms into the City of Children. Over 20 various educational and entertainment sites are open for young Muscovites and guests of the capital throughout the Exhibition. Thematic events take place at each point that enable children to feel like real travelers, inventors, scientists and researchers.Circle of Light Moscow International Festival
In autumn 2015, VDNH became 1 of the 9 sites of the 5th Circle of Light Moscow International Festival. Pavilions and alleys of the Main exhibition of the country served as objects for video projections. The Alice in Wonderland Ice and Light Show by Tatiyana Navka took place near pavilion No. 66 Culture. A light and music concert was performed by Dmitry Malikov. Its decorations included dynamic light pictures on the facade of pavilion No. 1 Central.
In autumn 2015, VDNH served as the main venue of the 6th Moscow Modern Art Bienalle. The main project of the bienalle called How to Live Together? was located at pavilion No. 1 Central View from the City Center into the Heart of the Island of Eurasia. A creative laboratory and discussion club operated at the Main pavilion of VDNH, while three other sites of the Main exhibition of the country hosted special projects within the framework of the bienalle.
In 2015, the Main exhibition of the country served as the main cultural, exhibition, educational and entertainment venue of Moscow. Work directed towards the establishment of a museum cluster was launched. According to the Mayor of Moscow Sergey Sobyanin, 8 museums are to appear at VDNH. In particular, work was carried out on the Oriental Museum (pavilion No. 13 Health, Armenian SSR); Cinema Museum (pavilion No. 36); ROSIZO Gallery (pavilion No. 66). Permanent and temporary expositions are also working at VDNH.
The exhibition was opened for visitors on 29 December 2015. It is located at pavilion No. 57, which was renovated in an extremely short period of time from April to December 2015. The Russia – My History historical park is based on multimedia expositions: Rurikovichs, Romanovs, ХХ century, 1914–1945. From great shock to the Great Victory, ХХ century, 1945–2000. The expositions utilise modern museum display technologies, including holograms, interactive sensor displays, a projection dome, video panels with 3D historical reconstructions, and audio guides.
Mechanics of a Miracle is an exposition of the objects created for the Grand Closing of the XXII Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. From December 2014 to mid spring 2015, one could see at the historical pavilion No. 32-34 Space costumes, decorations and accessories that were used to translate the image of Russia to 3 billion people around the world.
From February to April 2015, within the framework of the 1st Moscow street art bienalle Artmossfera, the #project64 modern street art exhibition was presented at pavilion No. 64 Optics. At the exposition, visitors of VDNH could see works of the participants of the 1st Moscow street art bienalle Artmossfera. From the middle of May, alleys and squares of VDNH were converted into an open air modern art gallery. Various installations, graffiti and paintings on asphalt were presented at the Exhibition. The total number of public art objects was approximately 20.
By 9 May 2015, a unique Fragments of the World. War Time Life exhibition dedicated to life on the home front was opened at pavilion No. 1 Central. The exposition depicted realia of the home front during the Great Patriotic War, human lives, daily routines, and labour exploits of people away from the battle line.
In dedication to the 70th anniversary of the Great Victory, an exposition of military equipment was presented at the Industry square and at the site of pavilion No. 34 Engineering. A special mobile application was developed to show fighting machines operations.
In summer 2015, the Buran interactive museum centre opened at VDNH. The exposition rests within the Buran BTS-001 orbital spacecraft model and is dedicated to the victories of Russian scientists, engineers and space researchers. Here one can not only learn about the history of the Soviet space shuttle, but also try himself in the role of a pilot. The simulator programme fully simulates the actual landing of the Buran after its first and only flight in 1988.
Till 1 November 2015, a large scale Friendship of Peoples photo exhibition was displayed at pavilion No. 59 Grain. It included 500 photos depicting the development of modern photo art in the former Soviet republics from 2000 - 2015. Master-classes by the winners of the Russian View open contest from former Soviet republics were arranged within the framework of the exhibition.
The VDNH Artists exposition at pavilion No. 1 Central included works of artists, who worked for the Exhibition at different times. These are Russian and Soviet artists, sculptors and masters of applied decorative arts, such as А. А. Deineka, К. N. Redko, А. N. Samokhvalov and other representatives of socialist realism, who created the image of VDNH.
The autumn-winter 2015 were full of new exhibitions and museums. During this time, a total of 12 exhibition projects were established. 100 Years of Fashion in Russia expositions: 1915–2015. From Alexander Vasiliev's collection at pavilion No. 64 Optics; MAHU 1925–2015/Traditions and modernity at pavilion No. 67 Karelia; Watch Me Move: Legends and faces of global animation at VDNH at pavilion No. 15 Radio Electronics and Communication; Unreal heroes. Characters and artists of Soyuzmultfilm at pavilion No. 2 Education were very popular among the expositions' visitors.
VDNH EXPO is one of the important divisions of the Main exhibition of the country that controls assembly and exhibition activities. The brand has existed in its new form since late 2014.
VDNH is a valid member of the Russian union of exhibitions and fairs (RSVYa) and Global Association of the Exhibition Industry (UFI). Our exhibitions are supported by the Chamber of Trade and Commerce of the Russian Federation, the Chamber of Trade and Commerce of Moscow and the Russian union of industrialists and entrepreneurs.
VDNH annually arranges over 100 expositions, in which over 25,000 members from 70 counties take part. Guest events are arranged, as well as personal exhibition and assembly projects aimed at the demonstration of cutting-edge technologies in agriculture, public health, innovations in utility services, power and resource conservation. Permanent personal and guest projects of VDNH EXPO include —Textillegprom; Leather — Shoes — Furs — Technology; Junwex Moscow; Golden Autumn; RussianElevatorWeek; АГРОФАРМ; Interpolytech; Sportland; Moscow International Book Exhibition and Fair; Flowers; Haunting and Fishing in Russia, etc.
Furthermore, VDNH EXPO provides integrated services for the preparation and holding of exhibitions and assemblies abroad.
Historically, VDNH achievements were presented not only in labour, but also in sports. Today, the Main exhibition of the country continues to develop sports-related traditions, forming a modern sport cluster on its territory.
On 22 December 2015, the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy was awarded the annual all-Russia Sport Structures Prize. A Results of the 2015 nomination in Amusement Park with Sports Infrastructure category. VDNH was awarded for the establishment of a modern sport cluster and the largest European skating rink with an artificial surface.
Pavilion No. 27 Physical culture and sports
The pavilion No. 27 Physical culture and sports was reconstructed for the first time in the Post-Soviet Russia. The building of the pavilion was constructed in 1940. It presented an exposition on prizes of Soviet athletes, and also covered the sporting life of collective and state farms. From 1967 to late 1980s, a sports hall for VDNH of USSR workers existed at the pavilion. Due to the efforts of the Government of Moscow and management of VDNH, in summer 2014, the building was restored.
The new sport zone near pavilion No. 27 Physical culture and sports includes several open air sites for football, volleyball and other sports. The indoor soccer and street ball site was reconstructed and equipped with tribunes for 95 visitors. For the convenience and safety of athletes the site features special flooring from rubber crumbs with marking. Standard indoor football gates and four rings for street ball were installed. Some bonuses for players are high iron fencing, which will prevent the ball from leaving the site, small changing rooms and artificial lighting for playing during the darker time of the day.
A free, year round workout site is located directly in the forest behind the VDNH pond. The sport center area is 540 sq. m and includes equipment, such as horizontal bars, cross bar cascade, flying rings, rubber punch bags, wall bars, parallel bars, bench with supports, etc. The site features special rubber flooring for safe training.
A system of four sites was built between the Ring road and Michurinsky garden: Two sites for indoor football and two for volleyball and basketball. The sites are rented out: indoor football sites are available to be rented all year long, and volleyball and basketball sites are available during the warm time of year. The indoor football sites of 20x40 sq. m are equipped with artificial lawns certified by Russian Soccer Union. The flooring of the universal volleyball and basketball sites complies with the recent standards. Eight changing rooms were built for team sport amateurs. Each changing room is equipped with 12 lockers, showers and washroom. Sites are equipped with artificial lighting and flooring maintenance equipment. Information on the sites and rent can be found at sport.vdnh.ru.
A large stadium equipped with lights and tribunes was built in Ostankino Park for classic football amateurs.
There is a skate park in Ostankino Park that operates during the warm season. It is equipped with closed pools of various difficulty. Visitors above 18 years have to fill in a rider questionnaire and read the rules and safety instructions in order to visit the skate park. Visitors below 18 year have to provide written consent of parents and a copy of one of their parent's passport, a rider questionaire, as well as sign a document to confirm that the visitor read the rules of the skate park. ATTENTION! The Skate Park is closed in 2017.
In the warm season, Frisbee and beach volleyball sites operate at VDNH Port. There are also ping-pong tables and equipment for badminton is available. ATTENTION! The VDNH Port is closed in 2017.
In winter, VDNH visitors can attend the largest skating rink in Russia, which is located on the Central alley, a professional hockey rink, as well as two ski tracks at VDNH, Ostankino Park and Botanical garden.
The rejuvenation of VDNH is accompanied by the implementation of a new communication strategy. The corporate style of the centre has changed: on the basis of historical fonts, minimalist images of the new VDNH were developed. The Main exhibition of the country features a navigation system, detailed maps and guidebooks, as well as souvenirs.
In late 2014, the new official web site vdnh.ru was launched. Detailed information on VDNH EXPO is available at expo.vdnh.ru. Separate resources are available on VDNH Port - port.vdnh.ru and sport centre of the Exhibition: sport.vdnh.ru. Work of the Main skating rink of the country is also represented on a separate web-site — katok.vdnh.ru.
Web-sites of the Exhibition develop in dynamic fashion. These are visited by over 600,000 people monthly. Pages with event programmes and the event calendar are especially popular. In 2015, mailing was launched and the number of subscribers increases dynamically. Furthermore, the vdnh.ru web-site started to provide video broadcasting of major events at VDNH and virtual tours at the exhibitions.
Modern gadgets have also not been forgotten: A VDNH Guidebook IOS based mobile application was launched. This is a navigation and information service that will aid in finding any facility of the Exhibition and plan a route towards it. The application will always provide information on current events at VDNH. In 2016, its Android based analog was launched.
In late 2015, the first printed version of the VDNH Guidebook was also published.